Thursday, March 13, 2014

An Example of Meet Week Prep

       I've been asked quite a bit what my final week before a meet looks like. So as the opening competition of my 2014 season approaches, I want to take the opportunity to put up a basic outline of the things I do during the final week of prep, at the end of training or even after training is over. This is my final prep timeline for this year's WABDL North American Championships, where I'm cutting weight to hit the 125 kilogram class. There will be a 24 hour weigh-in.

1. Monday: hit BP opener for a single, squat (light) to keep the lower body from tightening up into an unusable coiled mass, and do a little barbell rowing; water consumption increased by 50%.

2. Tuesday: PNF and soft tissue work on biceps, triceps, shoulder girdle, and T-spine.
   
     *Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation

3. Wednesday: depletion training to begin my weight cut

4. Thursday: depletion day 2; cals at maintenance, carbs at 150 g. Recovery walk in PM.

5. Thursday at dinner, reduce fluid intake to sipping on water; afterward suck on ice chips and sip herbal tea.

6.  Sleep if possible. Probably not though because I'll be essentially camping in the bathroom epitomizing the concept of the over-active bladder.

7. Weigh at 5 AM, 6 hours out from checking in at the meet. Hit the steam room and take a walk if needed. Monitor weight every half hour until target is hit, sucking on ice chips to keep from over-dehydrating. Continue to monitor until I check in.

8. Check in at 11 AM after vacating the bladder and bowels.

9. As close to 11 AM as possible, start drinking gatorade and eat an easy to digest breakfast; over the course of the day I'll have a gallon of gatorade, a gallon of water, and as much food as I can eat for the rest of the day.

10. See chiropractor and neuromuscular therapist. Adjustment, soft tissue work, and mechanical analysis.

11. Bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment